In view of the fact that many people in our society are not familiar with the word of God and are not interested in the word of God, we believe that it is important for you to take a little time to read this most important message. We believe that we can give you good, solid evidence that the Bible is absolutely reliable.
Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." The Christian's life is a faith life, but it is not a blind superstitious faith. It is a faith based upon the solid facts of God's Holy word. Romans 10:17-18. The following evidences that the Bible is absolutely reliable should be examined carefully by the skeptical mind.
- Fulfilled Prophecy
There are hundreds if not thousands of prophecies found in the in the Old and New Testaments. Most have been fulfilled to the letter. Those that have not await future fulfillment. Over 300 direct or indirect prophecies may be found about Jesus Christ alone. Someone has taken just 50 of these relating to His birth, life, death and resurrection, and done a statistical probability on the possibility of those 50 being fulfilled in the life of one man. We find the probability to be 1:10 to the 130th power. That is 10 with 130 zeroes following. Sir Fred Hoyle has calculated that the number of atoms in the universe is 10 to the 80th power. That is the probability of just 50 prophecies being fulfilled, and yet there are literally hundreds of prophecies that have been fulfilled. These hundreds of prophecies were made anywhere from four hundred to four thousand years before they came to pass. The impossibility of these prophecies coming to pass in one person's life is actually beyond our comprehension. Yet, they did come to pass. How can you explain this? Chance? Luck? If you believe that you are a not thinking clearly. Only God could have brought all of this to pass exactly as predicted. Therefore, this is one absolute proof beyond question that the Bible is infallible and trustworthy.
- Another great indication that the Bible is trustworthy is The Unity of the Bible. The Bible is one book compiled of 66 books written by 40 different human authors over a period of 1600 years. Yet, the unity of the Bible is clear and unimpeachable. It is one book. It tells of:
- One person - The LORD Jesus Christ. Genesis 3:15; John 5:39
- One Gospel - By Grace through the shed blood of the Saviour. Genesis 22; Ephesians 2:8-9
- One Theme - The Blood of a sacrificial Lamb. From Genesis to Revelation the blood flowed through a sacrificial system designed to call attention to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ for the sins of mankind. Exodus 12:7; Colossians 1:20; Revelation.
- A Third Proof to consider is the Power of the Bibleto change lives for the better. For those who decide to place their faith and trust in the word of God it changes them for the better every time. True saving faith in Jesus Christ the Lord causes one to be able to escape a life of sin and degradation. The Apostle Paul as recorded in Acts 9; the Philippian jailor in Acts 16 are just a couple of Biblical examples. Real life examples are also abundant. My life and the lives of countless others can testify to how God changed our lives and gave us a life worth living.
- Another powerful evidence is that the Nation of Israelis still here in spite of all of its persecutions over the past several thousand years. Genesis chapters 12, 15, 17 contain great prophecies and promises by God to magnify and preserve Israel. Many books have been written which record the miraculous preservation of the Israel. One event in my lifetime that stands out is the 1967 war. Virtually every nation around Israel was poised to conquer them, but in six days, Israel had virtually destroyed all of the aggressors. God has promised to preserve Israel, and He has.
- The Preservation of the Bibleis a fifth great evidence of the worthiness of the word of God. In spite of opposition, it is still here. Agnostics, infidels and unbelievers have attacked the word of God for centuries, yet it is still the most trusted and revered book in all of man's history. Why is it still here? In Matthew 24:35 Jesus declares that the word of God will last forever. God's word has been attacked and scorned by infidels and unbelievers yet it is still here.
- The Wonderful Accuracy of the Bible
It is scientifically accurate. No one has ever proven that the Bible has any scientific mistakes. Job 38:13
The Bible is the only history book in the world that is accurate to the smallest detail. Egypt and it's bricks, Jericho's walls and countless other details have been proven by the digs of archaeologists for centuries. Every time an infidel ridicules the truths of the Bible's history, someone digs up a confirmation of what God said in his book. It contains the greatest literature in the world, and within its pages, man and his behavior is described minutely and accurately.
- Another proof is the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Nothing attests to the trustworthiness of the Bible more than the resurrection of Jesus Christ. He is risen from the dead proving that He is God manifest in the flesh. This is the one main difference between Christianity and all the other religions of the world. Jesus Christ is alive. He rose from the grave proving Himself to be God in the flesh. Mohammed is dead, Confucius is dead, Joseph Smith is dead, Mary Baker Eddy Smith etc., is dead, but Jesus Christ lives. He predicted that He would be killed, said that He would live again, and He is alive.
- Additional evidences for the Authority and Reliability of the Bible.
- The Bankrupt Philosophy of Atheism and Agnosticism.Isaiah 41:29
Atheism & Agnosticism produce fools - Psalm 14:1.
- The Logical Inference that there is a "GOD."
Nothing can create itself. It would have to be before it was. That is absurd. Therefore there must be a "First Cause."
That logically infers a "Creator." Genesis 1:1; Romans 1:20. "Everything which has a beginning has a cause except God." God has no beginning and therefore needs no cause. He is the "First Cause." The universe can be seen to be "running down." Therefore, it had to have had a beginning. Therefore, it had to have a cause. God is the only logical explanation.
- Two other evidences for the reliability of the Bible and the truth of Christianity.
- Changes that occur in living things show that changes in genetic structure involve a loss of information. Just as a tape recording gets worse with each copy, so does man's genetic code lose with natural selection and/or adaptation. (Or at the very most stays the same.) Evolution requires that the code gain information. That requires outside intelligence.
- With the millions of fossils available from the fossil record for examination, if evolution were true, it is impossible for man to have not found an intermediate fossil (A link) between kinds of animals. There is not one intermediate fossil (link) to be found. There are many more solid evidences to be examined for the reliability of the Bible, but we don't have the space to discuss them here. Any thinking person who truly searches for the truth will be able to find it. Honestly seeking for God and His truth will always result in finding the truth.
Anyone who ignores the above evidences does so to his or her peril.
Deuteronomy 18:19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
Trust in the Lord Jesus Christ today, before it is too late.
written by Dr. Robert E. Bliss