In 1 Corinthians 4:1-3 Paul declares that Christians are to be good stewards of the "mysteries of God." Note the plural use of the word. As we examine the word of God we find that there are several "mysteries" mentioned in the New Testament. We have categorized these into the seven as listed below. A mystery as revealed in the New Testament was a truth veiled in the Old Testament. As we look at these mysteries we will find that the Apostle Paul was chosen to reveal six of them to the Church. The other one is revealed by John in the Revelation.
A steward is an overseer, a keeper, a dispenser, and a minister of something entrusted to that person. It might be something material like a ranch, or it may be something spiritual like a truth. Note that we are to be "faithful" stewards.
- 1 Timothy 3:16 - "...God manifest in the flesh"This may be the most difficult to comprehend. This is the mystery of the "Incarnate Word." John 1:1-3, Hebrews 1:8, John 8:58
- Ephesians 3:4-8This is the truth that God was going to come down and dwell in the Gentiles. The Jew had a very difficult time with this. Colossians 1:26-27
- Ephesians 5:32 - "...Christ and the church."The relationship and truth of the "church." Colossians 1:18
- Romans 11:25 - "...blindness in part has happened to Israel."Since Israel rejected Jesus the Gospel has gone out unto the whole world. Romans 3:2
- 2 Thessalonians 2:7 - "...the mystery of iniquity..."There will be a man of sin which we call the "Anti-Christ." He will be a counterfeiter, a fake Christ, a false Messiah.
- 1 Corinthians 15:51-55 - "...we shall not all sleep..."The wonderful truth of the "Rapture of the Church." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
- Revelation 17:5, 18 - "...MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT..."This is the unveiling of the one who would become the harlot church. A great religious whore.